Dear blog readers. I have not forgotten about you. Yes, you probably forgot this blog still exists. I totally get it. I mean…I update it, at best, every couple of months with something random. But I REFUSE to let this blog die.
So let’s just address this real quick. What’s the point of this blog? I’m not actually entertaining you with many short stories or talking about writing-related topics. I sometimes talk about my life, sometimes just go on a rant and sometimes just re-post other people’s content. So what is it you’re tuning in for? Well. The essence of me, I guess. Not good enough? Alright, well I’m going to do some long, hard thinking about how to make this a better blog. Maybe just better categorization of topics.
…or maybe it’ll just stay random. Stay tuned. Or not.
So on to a really random topic. I’m pregnant.* Yep. As of this posting I’m 22 weeks along. So since I haven’t updated this in a while, I thought I would just post a quick list of things that I find interesting (for better or worse) about being pregnant.
- I can create life. So that’s pretty cool.
- Eating, in general, is so delightful when it’s guilt free.
- Acne? What acne? Ah, the joys of having the right hormones for the first time in my life.
- Decorating! I love making one part of our house look all shiny and new. New paint, new fixtures, new décor, ahhh.
- Finding out that little LeRoy is a little boy! Not knowing was excruciating. But now I can picture him just wiggling around down there.
- Unplanned sleeping spurts. I’m all for a good nap. I’m all for passing out on the couch at 7pm for two hours, then going to bed for 9 more hours. Bring it on!
- Ice cream. If 24 hours goes by without ice cream, I wonder if I’m seriously ill.
- Knowing that I’ll have 12 weeks of uninterrupted leave from work.
- Stretch marks. Need I say more?
- Swollen feet…and this is just the beginning
- Gaining weight. Why is added back fat necessary? Is this going to help me deliver? I really don’t think so.
- Heart burn. You little Grinch, you. Always creeping up when I least expect it.
- Missing my small “cans”. A lot. Never did I ever realize how much I would hate having ginormous cans. Also – see above about stretch marks.
- Why am I crying…for no reason at all? Annoying.
- Being overwhelmed by must-read baby books. So if I don’t do what this book instructs will I fail as a parent? EEEKKK!
- Aches and pains – back ache, side ache, hips hurt, my jaw hurts (this may or may not be pregnancy related).
- Interrupted sleep. Grrr. Getting up to go to the bathroom at least twice a night, wrestling for control of the covers with a nearly 100lb dog and wondering why I can’t turn off the rapid-fire thoughts in my head at 2am.
- Tummy touching. I never knew before I was pregnant if I would be one of those people that like or hate having their stomach touched. Well, now I know. I’m certainly in the camp that’s against it. Ummm…why are you touching my body? Not to mention a lower part of my body. Shoulder pat? I can get down with that. A hug? Sure. Even a massage – go for it. But putting your hands on a part of my stomach where I’m sort of self conscious about how I look and at the same time am trying to protect that area from all sorts of danger…well that’s just a bit too close for comfort.
- Morning Sickness…for 10 weeks? Are you kidding me? Nothing is worse. Nothing. I guarantee even delivery won’t be worse. Even if I have to be in labor for four days, push for 2.5 hours and end up having a c-section. It will pale in comparison to having morning sickness. I promise you this.
That’s about it for now. Why only one item under “The ugly?” Well in case I didn’t explain it thoroughly enough, having morning sickness is the pits. It’s awful. It’s like being endlessly hung-over for 10 weeks…and you didn’t even have a fun night out to make it worth it! I have found nothing to be as bad as morning sickness…so far. Like I said, there is this whole delivery thing coming up in a couple of months. So that could change my tune a bit. But even still, I think I would only put that in the “bad” category.
Alright kiddos, that’s all she wrote.
*Please let me be clear when I say I don’t want this to turn into a blog that’s all about me being pregnant. Yes, it’s weird and interesting and fun and not fun all at that same time. And yes, I could write a lot on the topic. But I have this friend who did an amazing job of documenting her experiences on HER blog. And although I can’t say that I have all of the same experiences, I do recognize that she’s a great story teller. So instead of me trying to live up to her preggo stories, I’m just going to direct you to her blog – http://zachinson-themagicnumber.blogspot.com/
Note: Her blog is not JUST about her pregnancy, but start at the beginning, you’ll be entertained.